In this blog post I would like to explain one effective NLP technique called “Museum of old beliefs”. It is a powerful tool that will keep you motivated and helps you to change the belief that is holding you back.
The museum of old beliefs was developed by Robert Dilts and is used to change limiting beliefs using spatial anchors (anchoring feelings and thoughts using a space). If you want to get a deeper understanding about anchoring, you can go to the NLP Academy: http://www.nlpacademy.co.uk/articles/view/nlp_anchoring/
For this exercise, print out sheets for each of the below:
- Open to doubt
- Used to believe
- Museum of old beliefs
- Open to believe
- The Meta position is basically the neutral position and starting point.
- You then step on the “Open to doubt” position. In that position, you need to go back to a time and moment in which you were open to doubt and describe that using visual, auditory and kinaesthetic language. This should now be anchored to that position.
- Next step: “Used to believe“. In here you need to anchor the feeling of what you used to believe the same way it was done for “open to doubt”.
- Next step: “Museum of old beliefs“- In here you describe a place that will be used to leave an old belief behind. This could be a museum, the sea or whatever you want it to be. That place should be described as detailed as possible. You then take the limiting belief and puts it away. Turn that limiting belief into a positive one (example: “I am not good enough to do that” into “I trust my capabilities and know I will be able to do it”) and step into “Trust”.
- Next step: “Trust” – you anchor the positive belief, trusting himself/herself.
- Next step: “Open to believe” – This is about anchoring a moment/situation in which you were open to believe. Best to refer to the new positive belief.
- Next step: “Believe” – You anchor now the new positive belief fully.
- Step back into “Meta” position.
You will see you will be empowered and want to take some action right away. It is important that you have to write down your action points and then go ahead.
What is holding you back? Send me an email.
Your Life Coach Christine